My main activity is looking for venomous snakes at night in the rainforests of Thailand – I’ve said that a few times here at Headlamps 101 already. I used flashlights for a couple of years, actually 6 years! That said, I’ve switched to using headlamps primarily, and I’m enjoying them a lot more. Here’s more about advantages and disadvantages of both.
Pros and Cons of Using Flashlights Vs. Headlamps
- Most flashlights take store-bought batteries, so they’re easy to find and give you emergency power when needed.
- You can usually stand a flashlight up on the back end and have it point to the ceiling if on a flat surface. We have constant power outages here at our house, so we’re doing that quite a bit.
- Many flashlights have zoom features, enabling quick zooms which focuses and brightens the beam in a small spot so you can see something much further away. Control of the beam with zoom and wide options is a real plus.
- Almost all headlamps have rechargeable batteries – good for the environment, and cheaper than AAA’s at the store.
- Using a headlamp frees up both hands – for doing things, or for falling – both of which will help you immensely.
- Your head doesn’t get tired of having a headlamp on it. Mine doesn’t anyway.
- At anytime you can pull the headlamp off your head and carry it like a flashlight. This resolves three of the four Headlamp Cons below.
- So much easier to drop flashlights. I usually drop mine over water, for some odd reason! I have never dropped a headlamp. I have had one catch on an overhead branch and get pulled off my head though.
- Heavy flashlights tire the hand out after a few hours.
- Cannot zoom the beams on most lights – at least not in 2017 yet.
- If there are many bugs at night and you’re not moving much, you will get more bugs in your eyes than with a flashlight held lower.
- You cannot turn your head without lighting up the area – so you have to be careful not to blind others standing close-by.
- Your neck may get tired turning so much – in the case of looking for wildlife in the forest.
I think the best thing to do is always to buy a headlamp because you can take it off your head anytime you want, and use it like a flashlight – using your hand to point in the direction you choose.
What do you use – headlamp or flashlight?